How to Backup – Restore – Download Amazon Kindle Book – Amazon is probably the largest source of legal e-books in the world, either through various Kindle applications that you can find on mobile devices and even on computers, or through Kindle ebook readers. We have used the new Kindle Paperwhite and the 7th generation Kindle and like to use Amazon’s ebook reader, but it is not ideal for storing all books on one device or in the cloud. Luckily, it’s easy to back up the books you buy legally for the Kindle. This can be useful, for example, if you accidentally delete a book on holidays that don’t have internet access. If you have backup copies of your books on your laptop, this type of problem is not a problem at all.
Therefore, making this backup can be very useful and takes no more than five minutes. Here’s how:
Follow these steps if you have a Kindle eBook reader.
- Connect your Kindle to the computer using a USB cable. The device is displayed as an external drive.
- Open My Computer and open the drive as if you were opening any USB sticks that you connected to your computer.
- All your e-books are in a folder called “Documents”.
- Copy this folder to your computer.
- If you accidentally delete a book from your Kindle, you can always put the backed up folder on your Kindle.
If you don’t use an ebook reader and still want to make a backup, you need Internet access to view books stored in the cloud. You can read these books on any device – your cellphone, computer or even your e-reader. All books that you buy through Amazon are available on the Internet.
Follow these steps to backup your ebooks:
- Download the Kindle application for Windows or Mac.
- Open the application and log in with your Amazon account.
- You can see all your books in the application. Right-click a book and click Download. This will download the book to your computer so you can read it offline.
- To make a backup, all you have to do is copy the folder where Amazon stores the book. On Windows 8/10 you will find books under C:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\Amazon\ Kindle\application\content. Windows XP, Vista and 7 must go to C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\My Kindle Content. On a Mac, this book can be found under ~ /Documents/My Kindle Content.
- Copy your e-books from these locations to other locations on your computer.
Following these simple steps will give you a backup of all your books, whether it comes from the Kindle e-reader or you use one of the Kindle applications. Now you can read these books on a computer using the Amazon application.
To restore a backup:
- Connect your Kindle to PC using a USB cable.
- Copy the document folder to your Kindle: Under Windows 8/10 you will find the books under C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle\application\content. Windows XP, Vista and 7 must go to C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\My Kindle Content. On a Mac, this book can be found under ~/Documents/My Kindle Content
- Your backup is now restored